Wednesday 27 December 2017

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter, #2)

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling is the second book the Harry Potter series.

The Dursleys were so mean and hideous that summer that all Harry Potter wanted was to get back to the Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry. But just as he's packing his bags, Harry receives a warning from a strange, impish creature named Dobby who says that if Harry Potter returns to Hogwarts, disaster will strike.

And strike it does. For in Harry's second year at Hogwarts, fresh torments and horrors arise, including an outrageously stuck-up new professor, Gilderoy Lockhart, a spirit named Moaning Myrtle who haunts the girls' bathroom, and the unwanted attentions of Ron Weasley's younger sister, Ginny. But each of these seem minor annoyances when the real trouble begins, and someone, or something, starts turning Hogwarts students to stone. Could it be Draco Malfoy, a more poisonous rival than ever? Could it possibly be Hagrid, whose mysterious past is finally told? Or could it be the one everyone at Hogwarts most suspects: Harry Potter himself?

The Breakdown:
When I picked up my copy of this book to read, and homemade birthday card fell out.  I had forgotten I received this as a gift in high school from a friend for my birthday.   I have to admit, this is probably my least favorite book of the series.  It is by no means a bad book, but I just enjoy the rest of the series more. As with  the previous Harry Potter post, there maybe spoilers.

I love the introduction to Lucius Malfoy, and it shows exactly where Draco gets his entitlement from.  He is definitely a character that I love to hate.  Speaking of new characters in this book, I find Lockhart fascinating.  I feel like we have all known that person who thinks  they know better than anyone else, but in reality has no clue what they are doing.  A man that never admits guilt for his mistakes.  I think one of my favorite scenes is where he is trying to heal Harry in after Quidditch match where his arm is broken, and removes all the bones.  When pointed out that he removed the bones, he is like well it is not broken anymore.

I just want to take a minute to talk about the creepiness that is Tom Riddle.   I get that he is Voldemort, but to know that he was so evil at that young of an age is terrifying.  Then I wonder, because he stopped the attacks and framed Hagrid so they would not close the school and he was asking to stay during summer break, did the then headmaster grant him permission to stay the break?  And we know that he was already gathering followers while in school, why did he not convince one of them to let him spend the break with them?

For me, the most surprising thing for me was what Dumbledore taught while just a teacher at Hogwarts.  He was the Transfigurations teacher.  I honestly, knowing how much Voldemort feared him, would have pegged him for a Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher if not for this book.

To Read or Not to Read:
Must Read

No comments:

Post a Comment