Sunday 22 December 2013

Queen of Cliffhangers

Origin (Lux, #4)

Origin is the newest in Jennifer L. Armentrout's Lux series.  If you have not read the series, you need to check this one out.  If you are planning to read the series and have not, skip this review because there will be big spoilers from the previous books.

Origin picks up with Katy waking up in terrible pain after her capture by Daedalus.  She is in a new facility in Nevada, Area 51 anybody.  The "nice" folks of Daedalus are examining and testing Katy to ensure that her transformation to hybrid is stable.  

Daemon is determined to get his Kitten back.  He goes back to Mount Weather to find her.  He makes a deal with Nancy Hustler to do anything she wants as long as he can see Katy first.  

Katy and Daemon soon learn what all Daedalus has planned for them, and what is the outcome if a Luxen and hybrid have a child together.  They have to work their way out of more than one sticky situation, sometimes with the help of others like Luc and Archer.

Daemon and Katy are one of my favorite YA book couples.  I love that in the beginning is was not about love at first site, in fact they did not even really like each other.  For them it was more of getting to know each other that caused them to fall in love.  They have a fantastic banter between them that makes reading them fun and entertaining.

I loved that Origin was from both Katy and Daemon's point of view.  I thought JLA did a great job of giving each character a distinctive voice in their parts.  Even if I had not read who's part the chapter was, I could have picked out which character's POV it was in.

This book had some really great OMG moments in it, but the one where Dawson makes the announcement about Beth, I totally saw coming.

I do, however, object to one line when Katy said that Daemon looked about as cuddly as a pit bull.  I happen to know quite a few very cuddly pit bulls.  Pit bulls are awesome dogs!

I do have a little of a love-hate relationship with JLA's endings.  She is a master of the cliffhanger.  I can't believe I have to wait until next summer to find out what happens next.

Currently Reading
The Dream Thieves
by Maggie Stiefvater

No comments:

Post a Comment