Sunday 31 March 2013

YA Book Tour- Idaho

Deadline

The next stop on my United States of YA book tour Idaho and representing it, is Chris Crutcher's Deadline.  Honestly, this probably would not have been a book I just picked up on my own, but I am so glad I read it.  It is probably the most uplifting, and yet depressing book I have ever read, so go ahead and have your kleanex box at the ready.

Ben Wolf is about to start his senior year of high school, and he has big plans, like winning state in cross country, getting the most out of school, and most importantly getting Dallas Suzuki to notice him. But like all best laid plans, this one gets a major monkey wrench in it. On his physical with Doc Wagner, it is discovered he has a serious illness, and only has about a year to live.

Ben decides since he is eighteen that he will not tell anyone about his diagnosis, and he will forgo treatment because it will only make him sick  He want to make the most of the time he has left, and part of that is he gives up cross country for football.  He has been helping his brother, Cody, the quarterback analyze tapes for about a year, and he has quite the knack for breaking down the opposing teams defense.  He scores a date with Dallas Suzuki to homecoming, and works on his current events/government teacher about real social change.

Along his journey, Ben ends up befriending the town drunk, who is more than what he seems, and has a secret that has been eating him alive.  He as he falls for Dallas, he finds that she has her own demons that she is dealing with.  And oh yes, in his dreams he has conversations with Heysoos, like spanish for Jesus, but he prefers it spelled H-E-Y-S-O-O-S, who may be a divine being or just a manifestation of Ben's subconscious.

This book was probably one of the best books I have read all year.  The issues that it makes the reader really think about are so real, from racism to our own mortality.  Ben's character is one the most well written characters.  You get a definite sense of a boy having to grow up quickly because he is facing his own mortality.  He is enduring, smart, and funny.  More than once I found myself laughing at his wit.  There are things he says I only wish I had the courage to say out loud. I would say my only complaint, and it is a minor one, it is that there is never an actually name given to Ben's disease.  All the read knows finds out is that is a blood disease, and the science mind in me is dying to know the exact diagnosis.  So if you have not read this book, you should, and I mean like right now.

Currently Reading:
Bloodlines
by Richelle Mead

No comments:

Post a Comment