Monday 25 March 2013

United States of YA, so far

As promised last week, here are short reviews of all the United States of YA books I have read up until Divergent.  Some of them I read before Epic Reads even came out with the map.

Obsidian (Lux, #1)

Representing West Virginia is Jennifer L. Armentrout's Obsidian which was absolutely fantastic.  I loved the main character of Katy.  She is nerd with spunk.  Daemon is definitely hot, until he opens his mouth and then he is quite the jerk.  His sister, Dee, almost makes up for as she is bubbly and nice as can be.  I loved this book so much I read the rest of the series, including the prequel in about 4 days.  Be warned that if you do what I did the last book, Opal, ends in a huge OMG moment, and the next book doesn't come out until August.

 Fated (Soul Seekers, #1)

Representing New Mexico is Alyson Noel's Fated definitely was an interesting read. Daire is a strong, independent young woman who has been given some big responsibilities, you know the whole save mankind from evil responsibilities.  This book gives a whole new meaning the the Good twin/bad twin thing.  While I haven't started the next book, yet, it is on the want to read list.

Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, #1)

Representing South Carolina is Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl's Beautiful, which I honestly have to say I am not a fan of it.  I did not really like the main character of Lena.  I mean come on, lives with a reclusive uncle, drives a hearse, and might be a witch, could it be any more clique? At least the Ethan was a little more likable.  This would not have been my first choice for YA book to represent South Carolina.

Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1)

Representing Minnesota is Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver.  I really like her writing style, even if her books are a little more brooding than what I usually chose.  She has a very lyrically quality to writing, especially if you read her Lament and Ballad books.  The main character Grace is way more mature than the average teenager, but that may because her parents basically ignore her. Sam is not average either, but he does turn into a wolf so what do you expect.  These are beautifully written even if the characters aren't always relatable.  On a side note, Maggie Stiefvater ended up with two books on the list. Her The Raven Boys is the Virginia book.

These books, plus Divergent, are my YA book tour so far.  The next on the list to tackle will be Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins representing God's country, Georgia.

No comments:

Post a Comment