Monday 18 March 2013

Divergent

There are two reason I decided to read Divergent by Veronica Roth. First, many of my friends have read it, and said it was great, and second, it is on Epic Reads United States of YA, which I am slowly working my way through, representing Illinois. (If you want to check out all the books: http://www.epicreads.com/blog/the-united-states-of-ya/)  So I had high expectations for the book, and gladly it did not disappoint.

It is a dystopian Chicago where everyone is divided into one of five factions based on the virtue they hold the highest that keep mankind from warring with each other.
Candor- Honesty
Abnegation- selflessness
Dauntless- bravery
Amity- peacefulness
Erudite- Intelligence

Beatrice, who later calls herself Tris because who really wants to be a Beatrice, is from a Abnegation family and has just turned sixteen.  The book begins on the day of her aptitude test which helps establish which fraction you are a best fit for. Tris is given an injection of a serum that runs her through a simulation, which for me had kind of a Matrix feel to it.  The test is where she learns she is a Divergent, meaning she does not really fit perfectly with any faction. Her tester tells her never to tell anyone what she is because if others knew bad things would happen to her.

While given a aptitude, people are still able to choose their own faction at the Choosing Ceremony. Kind of like if the Sorting from Harry Potter and the Reaping from Hunger Games had a child it would be this.  Tris ends up choosing Dauntless, and that is where her trials really begin.  She and the other initiates train under the watch eye of Four, who is tough but fair, and Eric, who is definitely a sociopath. Four is a totally enigma to Tris, who doesn't seem to know if she wants to kiss or hit him.  I have to admit she a little slow on the uptake with him sometimes.  I figured out exactly who he was the first time he was described. (Hint: It is in the eyes.)

As she proceeds through her training to her initiation, she learns that not everything is what it seems in her new faction.  What she learns ends up changing their whole society forever.

I really thought Tris was a very relatable character.  She has both vulnerabilities and strengths that make her quite human..  I think that I truly love her the most when she being selfless in her acts of bravery.  It is the kind of thing more people should do.

Divergent is very engaging, and I liked the undertones of social awareness.  It makes the point that no matter what society does to try to mold people, at the heart they are still humans with human flaws.

Also, random side note about the cover, is it just me or does the cover art remind anyone else of Sauron's all seeing eye form LOTR? (I know that it is suppose to be the Dauntless symbol, but I am just saying.)

I really want to go ahead and start Insurgent, but I have block exams on Monday.  I know if I start that it will be extremely hard for me to put it down and study properly.

After blocks, I plan on putting a quick review of all the other books I have read from the United States of YA thus far.

Currently Reading:
Cards & Caravans
by Cindy Spencer Pape

1 comment:

  1. The cover of 'Insurgent' is GORGEOUS, I just love the Amity tree symbol. Can't wait to read your review of it!

    ReplyDelete