Wednesday 1 May 2013

YA Book Tour- Kentucky

The Queen of Kentucky

The Bluegrass state is the next stop on the tour with Alecia Whitaker's The Queen of Kentucky.  It is a book that anyone who has been a 14 year old girl can relate to.

Ricki Jo Winstead is about the start high school, and she is ready to be someone new, someone cooler, and definitely not a Ricki Jo.  She decides that Ericka is a much more sophisticated name. She tries out for cheerleading, and makes new friends.

Her best friend Luke, liked her the way she was before the new clothes and friends.  As Ricki Jo tries to fit in with her new friends, she really starts to loose her best friend. Luke is an all around good guy, who has some serious family issues.

And of course there is a boy, Wolf, cute, popular, and every freshman girls crushes.  He is the guy in high school you had a huge crush on, despite him being a world class jerk.  He is the one you look back on, and wonder why you ever wanted him to ask you out.

Ricki Jo learns to navigate the perils of high school, and just maybe she learns what is truly important.

I loved Ricki Jo, because she really is a good hearted person who gets a little caught up in high school social scenes.  I felt I could relate to her, because that was a lot like myself in middle school.  I even did the whole go by my middle name because my first name was not cool.  Plus, Ricki Jo has a special place for me because of her love of her dog.  I am sucker for a character who loves their animals that much.

This truly was a great story with wonderful characters.

Currently Reading:
Hourglass
by Myra McEntire

No comments:

Post a Comment