Monday 6 May 2013

YA Book Tour- Indiana

The Fault in Our Stars

Next stop in the tour is Indiana with John Green's The Fault in Our Stars. Fair warning, have your tissues handy because are going to need it.

At 13 Hazel was diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer which metastasized to her lungs. She was given a experimental drug, while not curing her, it caused the mets to shrink and stop the spread. So now, she knows the end will come eventually, but no idea when.

Every week she goes to a support meeting for children with cancer, which she hates. I think I had to sit through one of those, and listen to leader Patrick, I would be super depressed.  It is at one of these meeting that Augustus Waters pretty much barrels his way into her life.

Augustus has lost a leg to osteosarcoma, and is quite the engaging, lovable character.  It is no wonder that Hazel finds herself falling for him.  She introduces him to her favorite book, and he uses his cancer wish to take her to Amsterdam to meet the author, who turns out to be quite the prick.  Despite that, they have a great time, too bad Augustus gives Hazel terrible news at the end.

The characters are so fantastically written, that I find myself quite emotionally attached to them.  The story was beautiful and heartbreaking, just the way that much of life is. But seriously, you need the tissues. I am pretty sure I spent the last few chapters in constant tears, but I would not have missed this book even if I could have skipped the tears.

Currently Reading:
Beneath a Meth Moon
by Jacqueline Woodson

No comments:

Post a Comment