Wednesday 30 May 2018

Audiobook: Carry On

Carry On

Carry On is written by Rainbow Rowell and narrated by Euan Morton.

Simon Snow is the worst Chosen One who's ever been chosen.

That's what his roommate, Baz, says. And Baz might be evil and a vampire and a complete git, but he's probably right.

Half the time, Simon can't even make his wand work, and the other half, he starts something on fire. His mentor's avoiding him, his girlfriend broke up with him, and there's a magic-eating monster running around, wearing Simon's face. Baz would be having a field day with all this, if he were here — it's their last year at the Watford School of Magicks, and Simon's infuriating nemesis didn't even bother to show up.

The Breakdown:
1. I decided on this book because my favorite Harry Potter podcast, Witch Please, does an episode on the book. Full disclaimer, I did not read Fangirl before reading this book.   Okay, now with those out of the way on to the meat of the review.

2. While I did enjoy the book, it does strongly feel like a Drarry (Draco-Harry) fanfiction, only the names changed to protect the innocent.  I do like that it is written from several characters perspectives and not just Simon's.   I, also, very much enjoyed Morton as the narrated.  He did a fantastic job of giving each character their own voice.

3. I just want to talk about how amazing Simon and Penny's friendship is.  There is absolutely no romantic undertones, yea!, and the lengths they go to to help each other is amazing.  I love that Penny wants nothing more than to save Simon, and is willing to uproot her life to make sure he is okay.

4.  Baz is probably my favorite character.  I kind of love his sarcasm and that boy definitely has style. I am sad there was not more Baz-Simon kissing scenes.

5. It does bother me that as the reader we know who Simon's parents are and why he is so powerful, but Simon never discovers this.  He never learns that he has a mother that loved him, and others never learn of Lucy and her fate. Oh, and for the record, I disliked The Mage from the beginning.

To Read or Not to Read:
Read

No comments:

Post a Comment