Friday 9 March 2018

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling is the final book of the Harry Potter series.

It's no longer safe for Harry at Hogwarts, so he and his best friends, Ron and Hermione, are on the run. Professor Dumbledore has given them clues about what they need to do to defeat the dark wizard, Lord Voldemort, once and for all, but it's up to them to figure out what these hints and suggestions really mean.

Their cross-country odyssey has them searching desperately for the answers, while evading capture or death at every turn. At the same time, their friendship, fortitude, and sense of right and wrong are tested in ways they never could have imagined.

The ultimate battle between good and evil that closes out this final chapter of the epic series takes place where Harry's Wizarding life began: at Hogwarts. The satisfying conclusion offers shocking last-minute twists, incredible acts of courage, powerful new forms of magic, and the resolution of many mysteries.

The Breakdown:
Now, I will open at the close. (See, what I did there.)  I think this is  my first ever re-read of the Deathly Hallows.  As always, Spoilers! (You know that you just read that in River Song's voice.)

I am going to start the the heavy amount of feels in this book.   Rowling gut punches me from almost beginning to end.  From Hedwig to Lupin and Tonks, this books should have come with a box of tissues.    For the saddest death is a toss up between Dobby and Fred.  Dobby went back into the house he hated and did everything he could to be free of to save Harry and his friends, which result in his death.  Totally cried, again, when I read this, especially when Luna gives her eulogy. Then Fred, who died laughing, which is what he loved to do and make others do.

I really enjoyed getting both Dumbledore and Lily's stories more in this book.  For Dumbledore, Rowling shows for all his greatness as a wizard, he also had some glaring faults.   His being drawn to the dark arts,  but also more on his family life.  I am left to wonder based on what was described about his sister whether she was an Obscurous. (Which to my recollection is never specifically mentioned in any of the books, but is shown in the Fantastic Beast movie.)  The with Lily, first the letter that Harry finds as Grimmauld Place in Sirius's room, and then with Snape's memories of her.  While everyone compares Harry to his father, at one point Dumbledore states that personality wise he really is more like his mother, and I feel that Rowling gives us more of a sense of that in this book.

I want to take a moment to appreciate the friendship between Harry and Hermione.  I love that Rowling proves that guys and gals can be friends without any romantic attraction.  I enjoy that they really support each other, and understand that neither is perfect.  Although, Hermione is pretty damn close.

I am about to give an unpopular opinion, but here goes.  After this re-reading, I don't find Snape a romantic hero.  I feel that, yes he had an obsessive love of Lily, but I don't know that I would call it a true love.  He is very cruel to her at times, and despite knowing she is muggle born, he still throws in with Death Eaters who are very much anti-muggle born.  She even points these out to him, and he basically blows her off.   It is not until her life is in danger that he even tries to change.

So strangely, probably my favorite scene in this book is when Harry is "dead" and meeting Dumbledore in his mind.  I found the concept of afterlife presented here interesting.  Plus, I love the quote, "Just because it is in your head, does not mean it isn't real."

One last thing before moving to the epilogue.  How amazingly epic was Neville in this book?  Talk about progression as a character.  Leading the rebellion at Hogwarts against Snape.  Squaring off against Voldemort and then killing Nagini.  He is a real hero.

I am just going to briefly touch on the epilogue. I feel like this was a very polarizing thing in the fandom.   People either loved it or hated it.  I personally loved it.  I like the idea of know where everyone ended up.  Although, I am sad there is no mention of Luna during it.  Also brought to mind a question for me, does the Daily Prophet have birth announcements?  At Platform 9 3/4 Harry mentions when seeing Draco that must be Scorpius his son.  I get the feeling they did not keep in touch, so how does he know Draco's son's name? Birth announcements or by word of mouth?

To Read or Not to Read:
Must Read

No comments:

Post a Comment