Wednesday 10 January 2018

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter, #4)

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling is the fourth book in the Harry Potter series.

"'There will be three tasks, spaced throughout the school year, and they will test the champions in many different ways … their magical prowess - their daring - their powers of deduction - and, of course, their ability to cope with danger.'"

The Triwizard Tournament is to abe held at Hogwarts. Only wizards who are over seventeen are allowed to enter - but that doesn't stop Harry dreaming that he will win the competition. Then at Hallowe'en, when the Goblet of Fire makes its selection, Harry is amazed to find his name is one of those that the magical cup picks out. He will face death-defying tasks, dragons and Dark wizards, but with the help of his best friends, Ron and Hermione, he might just make it through - alive!

The Breakdown:
When I began reading this series the first three books had already been published.  This was the first book I had to wait for to read, which I, of course, had pre-ordered it.  It came out between by senior year of high school and my freshmen year of college.  It was naturally released the week I was at college orientation.  So I had to wait to get home before I could start reading it.

My poor copy of this book has taken quite the beating over the years.  Multiple readings by me, readings by my family, and several moves has caused the book book to fall to pieces not to mention the food stains on the pages.

One of my favorite things about this book is getting to see a larger wizarding community with both the Quidditch World Cup and the Tri-Wizards tournament.  Loved the arrivals of Beauxbatons and Drumstrangs to Hogwarts for the tournament.

In this book, I really began to love Fred and George and appreciate their comic genius.  I feel that others don't realize how smart they are just because they don't apply themselves in the traditional way.  Their canary creams and fake wands are fantastic.

Interesting to see the trio in this book start to have some love interest.  Hermione and Krum are a little of a strange couple.  Plus, Ron's jealousy over them together is entertaining at times.  Then there is Ron doing stupid things when Fleur is around.  And Harry's crush on Cho.  They just grow up so quickly.

I would like to take a moment of silence to mourn Cedric Diggory.

He appears to be an all around nice guy.  His death was definitely shocking.  I still get teary when he appears from the Voldermort's wand and ask Harry to take his body back to his parents.

Then I get angry as the ministry for the outright denial that Voldemort could be back.  I totally blame Fudge for many of the upcoming tragedies.  If he had faced the problem instead of denying it exist, he could have saved lives.


To Read or Not to Read:
Must Read

1 comment: