Sunday 2 April 2017

Meant to Be

Meant to Be

Meant to Be is by Lauren Morrill.

This spring break, Julia's rules are about to get defenestrated (SAT word: to be thrown from a window) when she's partnered with her personal nemesis, class-clown Jason, on a school trip to London. After one wild party, Julia starts receiving romantic texts . . . from an unknown number! Jason promises to help discover the identity of her mysterious new suitor if she agrees to break a few rules along the way. And thus begins a wild goose chase through London, leading Julia closer and closer to the biggest surprise of all: true love. Because sometimes the things you least expect are the most meant to be.

The Breakdown:
1.  While I did think this book was charming, I did not like near as much of some of Morrill's other books, like Being Sloane Jacobs and My Unscripted Life.  I did, however, enjoy the setting of London so very much.   Having a book set in London has never disappointed me with the setting.  Although, it does make me a little sad because I am dying to visit London.

2.  I freely admit to the character of Julia annoying me for much of the book, and I will admit that it may be in part to feeling like I was too much like her in high school. She is kind of a know-it-all that many times does not look beyond the surface of other people.  She did grow on me more as the book progressed and she does seem to realize more of her own thoughts and unrealistic expectations of others.

3.  I found myself liking Jason despite Julia's unfair assessment of him at times.  I liked getting the little hints of his life beyond what Julia knows of him initially. He is funny, but also is hiding some pretty deep emotional stuff.

4. The best part of these book where when Julia and Jason were having their culture experience time.  I felt like that show cased them best as characters and was really where their relationship started to grow.

To Read or Not to Read:
Read

No comments:

Post a Comment