Wednesday 12 April 2017

Daughter of the Pirate King

Daughter of the Pirate King (Daughter of the Pirate King, #1)

Daughter or the Pirate King is by debut author Tricia Levenseller and if the first book of the series of the same name.

There will be plenty of time for me to beat him soundly once I’ve gotten what I came for.

Sent on a mission to retrieve an ancient hidden map—the key to a legendary treasure trove—seventeen-year-old pirate captain Alosa deliberately allows herself to be captured by her enemies, giving her the perfect opportunity to search their ship.

More than a match for the ruthless pirate crew, Alosa has only one thing standing between her and the map: her captor, the unexpectedly clever and unfairly attractive first mate, Riden. But not to worry, for Alosa has a few tricks up her sleeve, and no lone pirate can stop the Daughter of the Pirate King.

The Breakdown:
1.  I really liked the concept of Levenseller's book, the idea of a female Jack Sparrow. There was plenty of exciting fights and mind games between Alosa and Riden. For me, the characters were a little flat, and the story was predictable.   The twist in the story were not shocking at all.

2. Alosa is a girl trying to win her father's love which is pretty apparent from the start. She is smart and cunning, but feels rather one dimensional most of the time. It feels like Levenseller does not really explore her character for the most part. I hope that she will develop her more in the next book.

3. I did however really enjoy Riden.  He was, by far, the best developed character of the book. He is an excellent match for Alosa in smarts and skills, but he is also conflicted over his role in her capture and life as a pirate, and is obviously attracted to her.  I feel that that with him, especially in the last 1/4 of the book that Alosa really started to have character development.

4. I will say overall that I liked the book, and I think the series has potential.  It is a fairly quick read that has plenty of adventure.

To Read or Not to Read:
Read

1 comment:

  1. Aw, this book doesn't seem as amazing as I thought it would be, based on predictability and flatness of some parts. I like to keep guessing in my fantasy novels! Great review!

    Kim @ Divergent Gryffindor

    ReplyDelete