Wednesday 15 June 2016

The Raven King

The Raven King (The Raven Cycle, #4)

The Raven King is the final book of Maggie Stiefvater's The Raven Cycle.

Nothing living is safe.  Nothing dead is to be trusted.

For years, Ganesy has been on a quest to find a lost king.  One by one, he's drawn others into this quest: Ronan, who steals from dreams: Adam, whose life is no longer his own; Noah, whose life is no longer a lie; and Blue, who loves Gansey... and is certain she is destined to kill him.

Now the endgame has begun.  Dreams and nightmares are converging.  Love and loss are inseparable.  And  the quest refuses to be pinned to a path.

The Breakdown:
1.  It was very hard for me to get into this book, which is does not usually happen for me with Stiefvater's writing.  The beginning of this book, especially, really dragged for me. It almost felt as if the characters where fighting where the story was going in the beginning.

2.  One thing that was particularly hard for me to get into was that Stiefvater started multiple chapters with "Depending on where you start the story is about..." insert character of choice here. It got old very quickly. I see that she was explaining a characters place and importance in the story, but I just did not like it.

3.  I did like getting to know Henry Cheng.  He made a interesting addition to the group, and I kind of wish he had been more present in the other books.  The other thing I really liked is that Blue and Gansey finally admit their feelings for each other to their friends.

4. Honestly, the ending felt a little anti-climatic. I had the "That's it?" feeling when I finished the book.

To Read or Not to Read:
Read only to gain closure for the series

No comments:

Post a Comment