Monday 16 March 2015

The Grendel Affair

The Grendel Affair (SPI Files, #1)

The Grendel Affair by Lisa Shearin is the first full length novel of her SPI Files series.

We're Supernatural Protection & Investigations, known as SPI.  Things that go bump in the night, the monsters you thought didn't exist? We battle them and keep you safe.  But some supernatural baddies are just too big to contain, even for us...

When I moved to New York to become a world famous journalist, I never imagined that snagging a job at a seedy tabloid would change my career path from trashy reporter to undercover agent.  I'm Makenna Fraser, a Seer for SPI.  I can see through an disguise shield, or spell that a paranormal pest can come up with.  I track down creatures and my partner, Ian Byrne, takes them out- usually saving my skin in the process.

Our cases are generally pretty routine, but a sickle-wielding serial killer has been prowling the city's subway tunnels.  And the murder's not human.  The fiend in question, a descendant of Grendel- yes, that Grendel- shares his ancestor's hatred of parties, revelry and drunkards.  And with New Year's Eve in Time Square only two days away, we need to bag him quickly.  Because if we don't find him- and the organization behind him- by midnight, our secret's out and everyone's time is up.


The Breakdown:
1. This was a fun and fast read.  Shearin has a nice balance of action and humor in this book.  I am so glad that it was just as enjoyable as her short in Night Shifts.  There were several places in the book that had me laughing out loud.

2. I find the character of Mac awkwardly lovable.  She reminds me a little of Evanovich's Stephanie Plum.  She is an excellent seer, but not so great with the physical aspect of the job.  I especially love the partnership between her and Ian.  They seem like a team that fits very well together, with some undercurrents of sexual tension.

3. I loved that Shearin brought in old world monsters for this book.  Who did not have to read Beowulf in high school or college? So it was interesting to see her take on Grendel.  I loved the mystery of who was behind it, and the mysterious guy with the grudge against Ian.  I am definitely interested to see how all that will pan out in the series

To Read or Not to Read:
Read, especially for a nice quick vacation read.

No comments:

Post a Comment