Monday 1 December 2014

Legend

Legend (Legend, #1)

Marie Lu's Legend is the first book of her trilogy of the same name.

What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors.  Born into an elite family in one the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles.  Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal.  But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths- until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect.  Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias's death.  But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

The Breakdown:
1. Legend is a novel that reminds me why I fell in love with dystopian books in the first place. The secrets that the government is keeping, and the dichotomy between the haves and the have nots all come together so well in Lu's story.  Lu had me glued from the very first chapter.  I have to admit that I finished this book in one day because I could not put it down.

2. I loved the family loyalty and love in this book, both in June and Day's family.  Although their were not many scenes together, I really enjoyed June and Metias interacting with each other.  I could really feel the love between them, and I my heart did break for June at Metias's death.  The way Day cared for his family, even if he couldn't be with them, made me fall in love with him. While it would be easy for him to escape the Republic, he stays because he worries for his mother and brothers.

3.  Lu did a great job with writing the dual perspectives between June and Day.  They each had their own unique voice that brought their personalities.  I found it interesting that while they are from very different backgrounds and had very different outcomes to their Trials, they are remarkably alike in many ways.  It is easy to feel the chemistry between them.

4.  I am excited to read the rest of this series, and see where Lu takes these characters and how the story continues to develop and evolve.

To Read or Not to Read:
Must Read

No comments:

Post a Comment