Saturday 8 March 2014

A Little Swamp Magic

Bayou Moon (The Edge, #2)

Bayou Moon is the second book of Ilona Andrews' The Edge series.  This book takes place two years after the end of the first book, On the Edge, and follows William and introduces new leading female in Cerise.

William has been keeping a low profile.  He has been living on the Edge, and working in the Broken.  He has no desire to go back to the Weird, because he has nothing to go back to.  Reluctantly he is drawn back into that world by Mirror, the spymasters of Adrianglia, who need him for a mission. He is sent to find and retrieve an item that an revival Dukedom has sent their spymasters, the Hand, after.  There he meets the fierce Cerise.

Cerise is part of a large Edge Clan, the Mars, in the swamps.  Her parents have recently gone missing, leaving her in charge of the family.  There is new wounds opened in an old feud, and it is up to Cerise to lead her family against their old revivals and a new threat.  On her journey to save her grandparents old home, she meets Willaim, who she is convinced there is more to his status than just being a Blueblood from the Weird.

I was glad that this book gave us William's story.  I found him an intriguing character in On the Edge, and I wanted to know more.  I thought that William's thought process had a unique quality to them.  Andrews did an excellent job in writing them as to set him apart from humans in the way his changeling mind works.

I really liked Cerise.  She is a tough woman, who is loyal to her family despite their many faults and quirks.  She is a lovely combination of strong and soft.  I found some of her softer moments my favorite parts, like her interactions with her younger sister Lark.  I felt that she was a good match for William.

I was also glad to see that Declan, Rose, Jack, and George made an appearance in the book, and I got to see how they were getting along.

My one complaint is that I felt the ending left things a like in limbo as to what exactly happened to the Hand's leader, Spider.  Overall, a good second book for the series, which I am going to have to keep reading because the next two books follow some of Cerise cousins.

Currently Reading:
Enthralled
various authors

No comments:

Post a Comment