Thursday 6 June 2013

YA Book Tour- Wisconsin

Dairy Queen (Dairy Queen, #1)

I know it has been a while since I last updated, but seventh semester is crazy busy.  I have rotations, surgeries, classes, and still have to find time to study, so my reading is going a little slower now.  I, however, will continue the tour and next is Catherine Gilbert Murdock's Dairy Queen for Wisconsin.

D.J. has a lot of responsibility to deal with for a 16 year old girl. She has basically been running her family's dairy farm since her father's injury. The work is hard and long, and part of the reason she flunked her English class. As if she doesn't have enough to do, a family friend, who happens to coach the revival school's football team, sends over his QB, Brian, to teach him to responsibility and hone his skills.

Who better to help shape up Brian than D.J., after all she knows about responsibility and she helped her older brothers, who both in college on football scholarships, train.  D.J. has issues of her own that maybe Brian can help her with, like her families inability to really talk to each other, or dealing with her best friend's big news.  And all the training makes D.J. realize that she really loves playing football.

This book had that real feeling to it.  The things that D.J. goes through are stuff that people deal with everyday, so it made the book relatable.  I did feel at times that maybe D.J.'s family expected too much from her.  Her dad wanting to keep with everything on the farm, her mom wanting her make up her English grade, and even her older brothers wanting her to take their side in the big family fight.  It seems like a lot of weight on her shoulders.  I totally understand why she so mad and frustrated at times.

Too bad for Brian that she takes that frustration out on him at times. Not to say that he doesn't deserve it.  When he first comes to work with her, he is quite the spoiled rich kid. While his attitude gets better, mostly, there are times when it still pops back up, and I just want to slap him down for it.

So here is the thing, while I liked the story and characters, I thought the book end well, and I not sure how I feel about the sequels.  I may or may not read them later, but currently I am just not that curious as to what happens next.

Currently Reading:
The Raven Boys
by Maggie Stiefvater

No comments:

Post a Comment