Saturday 22 June 2013

YA Book Tour- Oregon

If I Stay (If I Stay, #1)

Next up on the tour is Oregon with Gayle Forman's If I Stay.  Fair warning, this one is a tear jerker, so have your tissues handy.

Mia is seventeen, and quite the accomplished cellist already.  She has a wonderful family that she is very close to, and  a boyfriend she adores.  Then tragedy strikes Mia's life.

A rare snow cancels school for the day, and Mia and her family go for a drive to her grandparents.  The next thing Mia knows is that their car is a tangled mess and both of her parents are dead.  As she walks around the crash sites, she finds her own body, not dead but badly injured.  As she is sent the hospital and then life flighted to Portland, she continues to have a consciousness separate from her broken body.

The books flashes between Mia's memories of her life and what she witness going on at the hospital.  I think that this book has a fantastic concept.  I love the idea that a coma patient knows what is happening around them, and in the end it is them who decides whether or not to wake up.

I love Mia's character.  She just loves so deeply, her family, her music, her friend, and her boyfriend.  It is wonderful how well Mia's character is developed, and how easy it is to become emotionally attached to her. I totally get her struggle, whether to move on and join her family in the afterlife, or stay for who she has left behind.

Just a fantastic book all around, and I cannot wait to read the follow up Where She Went.

Currently Reading:
Crank
by Ellen Hopkins

No comments:

Post a Comment