Sunday 26 April 2015

Miss Mayhem

Miss Mayhem (Rebel Belle, #2)

Rachel Hawkins's Miss Mayhem is the second book of her Rebel Belle series.

Life is almost back to normal for Harper Price.  The Ephors have been silent after their deadly attack at the Cotillion months ago, and best friend Bee has returned after a mysterious disappearance.  Not Harper can return her focus to the important things in life: school, canoodling with David, her nemesis-turned-ward-slash-boyfie, and even competing in the Miss Pine Grove pageant.

Unfortunately, supernatural chores are never done.  The Ephors have decided they'd rather train David than kill him.  The catch: Harper has to come along for the ride, but she can't stay David's Paladin unless she undergoes an ancient trail that will either kill her...or connect her to David for life.

The Breakdown:
1. I love the crazy combination of Southern charm and supernatural life that Hawkins has created in these books.  It is like would you like some sweet tea with your butt kicking, and of course, I say yes please. Although, I have to admit this book to take me on an emotional roller coaster ride from beginning to end.

2.  Hawkins get complicated with everyone's relationship in this book.  Harper and David trying to find a balance between being a couple and her being his protector.  Harper and Ryan working to together as Paladin and Mage, but being an ex-couple trying to find their way to friendship.  Harper and Bee dealing with Bee's return and what it means.  Even Bee and Ryan get complicated towards the end.

3. A couple of things I absolutely loved about this book.  First, Aunt Jewel, she is amazing, and I definitely want to see more of her and Harper together.  Kudos on the Doctor Who reference thrown in the book. Oh, and Harper's use of boyfie to refer to David. If I was still in high school, I would totally use that term on a boyfriend.

4. Not going to lying, I have a serious book hangover from that ending. The feels that Hawkins gave me, I cannot even deal with it. Plus there is the question, was this ending, The End, or is there another book to come. Hawkins ending had a finality feel to it, but then again, there is a bit of cliff-hanger to it.  All I have to say is she's killing me!

To Read or Not to Read:
Read, but have a tissue handy

No comments:

Post a Comment