Thursday 19 June 2014

Dragons & Dirigibles

First Book Review of the day, I will probably post a second one sometime this evening.
Dragons & Dirigibles (Gaslight Chronicles, #7)

Dragons & Dirigibles is the newest book in Cindy Spencer Pape' Gaslight Chronicles series.

When airship engineer Melody McKay's dirigible explodes and plunges her into the yard of a gothic manor, she suspects foul play.  With her ankle injured-- an indignity far too feminine for her taste-- she resolves to crack the mystery while in the care of Victor Arrington, the stuffy-yet-disarming Earl of Blackwell.

Ex-Royal Navy Captain Victor runs a tight house and is on a mission to protect his niece and foil a ring of smugglers using fire-breathing metal dragons.  He has no tome for romantic attachments.  Particularly not with women who fall from the sky wearing trousers and pilot's goggles.

As he and Melody navigate a treachery so deep it threatens the lives of everyone in Black Heath, the earl becomes unexpectedly attached to his fiery houseguest, and Melody discovers a softness in her heart for him.  But when the smugglers strike, there's more at risk than just their future together.

The Breakdown:
1. After the last book in the Gaslight Chronicles, Ashes & Alchemy, I thought that Pape had lost her touch with the series, thankfully, this book was much improved from the last.  She did a better job of bringing these characters to life, and the plot was more fun and exciting.  In fact, the plot had several twist which I enjoyed immensely.

2. I really loved Melody as heroine.  I had liked her in her previous appearances in other books, and was glad to see her as the lead in this book.  She is smart, brave, loyal, and kind, all things I like in my fictional characters.

3.  It took me a minute to warm up to Victor, mainly because of his antiquated ideas of what a lady should be, but over the course of the book, I really started to like him.  Partly because of how he was with his niece, and partly because I could see how his views slowly changed over the book.

4. Super excited to have some Tom and Nell in this book.  I have my fingers crossed that the next book is their book, especially after the bomb that Tom dropped at this end of this book.

To Read or Not to Read:
Read

No comments:

Post a Comment