Sunday 15 September 2013

YA Book Tour- Alaska

Julie of the Wolves

It has taken me a little longer to read this than I initially expected, because my first clinical rotation was quite the hard one.  I sent most of  my down time studying instead of reading, but I was able to really tackle the book this weekend.  I suppose the amount of post will depend on what rotation I have, so just keep an eye out for new stuff.  Now without further ado, we are rolling on with the YA book tour and taking our second to last stop in Alaska with Jean Craighead George's Julie of the Wolves.

Miyax, or Julie her gussak (white) name, has run away from her new husband and trying to make it to San Francisco where her pen pal lives. On her journey, she becomes lost without food, and begins to rely on a wolf pack to help her on her way. As she becomes accepted as part of the pack, Miyax finds herself becoming more self sufficient and falling back more to he old ways of her people.

For me, the book at a little bit of a strange flow.  It basically started in the middle with Miyax already left her town to runaway from her husband. It does not go back and explain the events leading up to her leaving until about third of the way into the book.  That being said, it does not make it feel too disjointed or make me feel lost for the first part of the book.  I did not, however, like that the book was not really divided into chapters, just the three parts.  That really makes it hard to find a good place for stopping.

Miyax is an interesting character.  At first, it seems like she can't wait to be in the whiteman's world, but as the book progresses she really is finds her identity and wants to preserve her heritage.  She is very smart and quickly adapts to the changes in her life.

But in all honesty, the best part of this book was the picture painted of the Alaskan tundra. The author really does a great job of describing the landscape and the animals who inhabit it. This book is worth the read just for the amazing setting.

With that there is only one book left on the United States of YA book tour.

Currently Reading: 
Under the Blood-Red Sun
by Graham Salisbury

No comments:

Post a Comment