Thursday 1 August 2013

YA Book Tour- Wyoming

Unearthly (Unearthly, #1)

Next stop on the United States of YA book tour is the state of Wyoming with Cynthia Hand's Unearthly.

Clara Gardner is an angel-blood.  Her mother is half angel and she and her brother are a quarter angel.  Every angel-blood has a purpose that they are given, and Clara has gotten her purpose.  Her purpose causes her family to leave their life in California and move to Wyoming.  She knows she has to save this boy from a fire, but when and how are still foggy.

As Clara navigates her way around a new school and deals with her new powers, she learns more about angels, both good and bad, and other angel-bloods.  She finds more than she expects in Wyoming, including a little romance.

I have to be honest, I was really worried about this books plot.  The synopsis made it sound awfully close to Lauren Kate's Fallen and Jocelyn Davies' A Beautiful Dark.  Even the cover seems uninspiring.  I have to say I was pleasantly surprised, and it was better than I expected.  Ms. Hand takes what could be an overdone concept and makes it new and gives it her own spin.  I like that Clara knows exactly what she is from the beginning and there is not a tedious drag in plot while she figures out what is causing these strange powers.

I like that she places Clara in a new situation where we get to see a little of her vulnerability, and she is not this instantly beautiful and popular girl. Find Clara struggle to be as focused as she can on her purpose to please her mother and to be the normal girl she longs to be makes her seem very human.  She, also, has a serious struggle with her feelings between Christian and Tucker.

Personally, I think that Tucker is a better choice.  I like that he is down to earth and so personable.  Christian, on the other hand, like Wendy says is god that you can admire from afar but never really know.

After the ending, which has a big surprise that I did not see coming, I can't wait to see what happens next.

Currently Reading:
Everneath
by Brodi Ashton

No comments:

Post a Comment